Jill of All Trades

March 16, 2010

I am going to need help sorting out  all of my identities.  I am a blogger, a book reviewer, an Avon Lady, a girl-friend, a writer, ….. I don’t know how to keep things straight anymore or how to introduce myself to people, especially when they ask, “And what is it you do?”  How do I answer that question?

You all come here often.  You must know me.  Tell me who I am! Seriously, I tried to write a paragraph about myself for the church bulletin (new member introduction) and all I could come up with is who I used to be.  How do I describe me now that doesn’t include the words, “used to be”?  I don’t feel used up and worn out.  I know I am still productive and valuable — I just haven’t quite gotten a handle on where and how yet.

I am getting ready to design business cards and I don’t know quite what to put on them. I appear to be in transition. Any ideas? Of course my phone numbers are a given, but do I include my legal name and my internet name (which after 13 years feels pretty legal)? Do I list my blog? My Avon website? What do I use for a logo? Should I buy two separate sets of cards?

In case you are wondering why I want business cards at all, think of them as calling cards. How often have you struggled to give someone your name and number looking for paper and a writing implement? With cards you just hand them one — quick and easy.

So, share your thoughts. Who am I and what do I put on my cards?

• alady'slifeNo Gravatar says:

I find it useful to write my name and contact numbers.
    The rest they can get when they contact you.

This way you can keep one card instead of saddling yourself with many.

Who are you?
    Well you are a beautiful woman
    Always was. Always will be.
    The rest is the aura you project touching upon many different interests and subjects.
    Hope this helps 🙂
    .-= alady’slife´s last blog ..HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY!!! =-.

• shellyNo Gravatar says:

I love the idea of calling cards. A friend of mine had some that were quite amusing..on the front of the card was her name and her phone # and all the ways we have to these days to contact people …on the back of the card she listed her talents all in a row…sorta like this.

architect
    designer
    creative consultant
    site analysis
    philosopher
    cyclist
    sailing instructor
    traveling companion
    yacht deliveries

the yacht delivery line always got a laugh…I say throw in a little humor…
    .-= shelly´s last blog ..Tile Time =-.

• AmandaNo Gravatar says:

This is my vote….

QuillDancer Inc.

Your given name
    Freelance writer and Avon Lady

Your phone number(s)
    Your Avon website

(I thought you needed a company name)

Also. No matter what your career is you are still you. My TV told me recently never introduce your self as what your occupation used to be. You are still that. You had a job as a teacher. You still are one. Now you do it for free.

• DianaNo Gravatar says:

I Quilly! Bill sent me over here, I’ll explain in a minute. I think you should put your name on your card stating perhaps that you are a woman of vision and direct them to a website that explains exactly all that you do! I dabble in many things myself! So now the reason that Bill sent me here. I have an unidentified plant in my yard. Bill suggested that perhaps you could identify it. My blog address is welcometodianasworld.blogspot.com , it is a mystery to me. Oh and by the way, I do love the calling card idea, very cool! Love Di ♥

• gigi-hawaiiNo Gravatar says:

I think you should mention your favorite job. Was it teaching? Do you still want to teach? If so, then just say: “I am a teacher looking for work.” Maybe that will open doors for you.
    .-= gigi-hawaii´s last blog ..Meatloaf =-.

• Melissa B.No Gravatar says:

When my Dad retired, he went out and got business cards. They said,

“Frank B., Blimpwasher”

Sounds about right. I think you should go for it and do something a little crazy, oui?

• tildenNo Gravatar says:

ask a japanese guy

• musingsNo Gravatar says:

Hmmmm….
    Actually those cards sound like an excellent idea but I’d have a hard time figuring out what to write, too.
    Maybe:
    Name
    Address
    Phone number
    E-mail address
    Blog Address

(That’s what I would put for myself, I guess)
    .-= musings´s last blog ..Project Completed… Sort of =-.

• All those “jobs” and talents. It’s obvious what title would go on your cards:

WOMAN.
    .-= Mocha with Linda´s last blog ..Please Pray =-.

Charleney-beanie, of course.
    .-= Doug´s last blog ..The Reformation of Wolfshausen =-.

• CherieNo Gravatar says:

Well, I would call you a free-lance writer. (I think that’s already been mentioned.) And it’s well known that writers always have other jobs, unless they’re Dave Berry or Jackie Collins or something. If you want to limit yourself to one set, you could also include the Avon logo (or Avon-esque) on it. I’ve been doing the business card thing for giving out my number to people for years. Sooooo, much easier than always looking for a scrap of paper to write on. I always had a separate set for the dance business because I wanted those to look strictly professional and could include space on the back to double as appointment cards. My personal ones always looked a little more funky. 🙂 Have fun with it. 😀
    .-= Cherie´s last blog ..How Do You Define Marriage? =-.

• LewNo Gravatar says:

I suggest the “keep it simple” approach. And a link to a permanent place on quilldancer.com with expanded information is a great idea. Something like a resume or a business synopsis. I gather that most of your writing work comes to you via the Internet. When you get a significant amount of business from face to face contacts, specific business cards would be in order.
    PS: and don’t forget to include photographer!
    .-= Lew´s last blog ..My World Tuesday – Wet =-.

• ThomNo Gravatar says:

Waste of money if you ask me. I get a card it goes in file 13 the minute I get home. You want to know me, go to the internet or use your cell phone. I don’t lose it that way. This is the age of electronics if you ask me.
    .-= Thom´s last blog ..TP4WW, What Part of a Fairy Tale Are You? and Proof That The World Is Nuts! =-.

• BettyNo Gravatar says:

I like the ideas of a business card. And reading the comments you got some really good ideas there. So I won´t add mine. I hope you can figure it out, so that you´re happy with them!

• The card you give people is different than the church bulletin blurb.

I did cards on my computer that say my name, my blog and my phone. I also have a bible verse on it.

I don’t think you need to say what you do, but if you must, why not

Renaissance Woman
    .-= southlakesmom´s last blog ..Craving Approval =-.

• “Jill of all trades” actually sounds pretty cool to me LOL I faced the same thing yesterday on my passport application — that little box couldn’t fit everything I do. I left it blank.

You could always just leave the occupation off, of course. I love the humour in some of the suggestions but of course it all comes down to the purpose of the cards – to whom are they going to go, mostly? –and tailor the content to that.

Good luck with all the trades and occupations!
    .-= Susan at Stony River´s last blog ..Happy USS Mother’s Day =-.

Susan — yes. I can’t fit it all in. I am just wondering what is relevant. Nothing, according to Thom. I can remain nonexistent.

• Church LadyNo Gravatar says:

Wow. You received many good ideas from your readers (except Thom – lol). He does have a point though. Maybe include your name and blogsite on the card, keeping it very simple. If people really want to get to know you, they can visit you here and find out that you are a fantastic woman who has many talents!!!
    .-= Church Lady´s last blog ..Incredible Wildlife Exists in MI =-.

• MelliNo Gravatar says:

I think you are well covered on this one. All I can say is the card should be YOU! Fun and creative! I know it will be perfect – whatever you come up with!

OH! I got the certificate yesterday! Thank you again!!! 🙂
    .-= Melli´s last blog ..Random Dozen… Blarney and all… =-.

• VioletSkyNo Gravatar says:

I don’t know you as well as some others, but I like the idea of a card with Quilldancer on the top (as if a business name) and your real name underneath with your phone number and web address across the bottom. Too much information gets too crowded and hard to read. Afterall, you will have talked to these people and are handing out the card to simply make it easier for them to contact you.

I find that what I tell people I do depends on the situation I am in. Some are not so interested in my ‘other’ job, so I focus on the one that would benefit the relationship. So I would have a separate AVON card – your contact info would be the same.
    .-= VioletSky´s last blog ..Monday AMuse =-.

• NessaNo Gravatar says:

You could just make calling cards.

I have a set of cards that simple have my name, address, phone number and I have a gmail account that is my name which redirects to my email address I use most often.

You don’t have to give yourself a title.

I have a separate set of cards that have my regular email address and by blog address. These are not appropriate in all situations. I would never give my blog to anyone work related. I carry both side by side. These cards are for anything related to writing or art.

I also have cards issued by my employer but they don’t count.
    .-= Nessa´s last blog ..Looking for Leprechaun Gold? =-.

• polonaNo Gravatar says:

no suggestions from me. i stink at this stuff. but i prefer thigns plain and simple. too much info turns me off.
    jobs change. titles are irrelevant. what matters is the person. and i like the person known as quilly no matter how she calls herself or what she does.
    .-= polona´s last blog ..strange moon =-.

• Barbara H.No Gravatar says:

Great suggestions. Just about everything I thought while reading along has already been said by someone.

I think it all goes back to the purpose. If it is just a matter of having all your contact info. in one place, then you don’t really need a job description or title, though I like some of the humorous suggestions. If you want to use the cards to drum up business, then you can list what things you do (Avon, independent tutoring, etc.). I can see having a separate Avon card, tutoring card, etc., but then again you don’t want to be fumbling around with several different cards to get the right one for the person you’re talking to — it helps to have everything in one place.

So…yeah…not much help, but that’s all I can think of at the time of night I’m writing. 🙂
    .-= Barbara H.´s last blog ..Top o’ the mornin’ to you! =-.

• NicoleNo Gravatar says:

What to put on the card?
    ‘A free mind’ – ‘The allrounder’
    ?
    No idea 🙂

But business cards, or whatever one wants to call them come in handy for sure.
    Even if it’s only the durn email address one needs to put down.
    How many times did I get home and couldn’t read the other one’s scramble?
    .-= Nicole´s last blog ..Small sewers, Nabq =-.